"I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reasons, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" -Galileo Galilei

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation" - Oscar Wilde

Monday, April 28, 2008

I Don't Want to Die (a Poem by Jeff Pierce)

This poem is dedicated to all the terminally ill people of the planet, to all the people suffering from mental illness and suicidal ideations, and to every and anyone who wishes to see beyond the now and contemplate tomorrow.


I Don’t Want to Die by Jeff Pierce

I don’t want to die; tell the frost to stay away
The grass is still green and my lines I have yet to say
Hold death back; please wrap it with mighty twine
I am not ready to surrender my breath
Too early in the day to gaze upon sunset
I don’t want to die
Do not pick, prune, poke, or pry; tell them to harvest on another day
I am not ready yet, so please push pause and cast not your net
I am waiting for another hard rain to fall
I am looking to get soaking wet; I was hoping for an open-ended interval
I don’t want to die
God put eternity into my heart and I still taste the sweet
I will break down and cry, throw myself at God’s feet
Don’t ask me to say goodbye; I do not wish to depart
Let me keep my misery, too many journeys on which I must embark
I don’t want to die
True, the moment is bitter and cruel
Dark blue is the mood, and a ton of weight life places on you
But, to sleep and not awake, that is too much for one to take
I’d rather take sorrow and tragedy and ride it like a wave on the sea
The other side calm and glee awaits, but, not if my last breath I take
I don’t want to die
For each day is a new start, and I am glad to be alive
I long to linger like a lover’s kiss
Take my body and soul and spin them as if the earth on its axis
I want to strike like a cobra and fight like a soldier
I want to burst like fireworks in the night
Learn my lines, rehearse, and deliver them night after night
I don’t want to die
I am but a musical chord with much to live for
Its song plays on with sweetness, charm, and haunting beauty
It doesn’t want to end; it doesn’t want to die
Like a wind chime on a breezy day with oh, so much, to say
Vines, bushes, and flowers are still dressed in green, red, and gold
They have barely ventured out from beneath the shadow of a cloud
So they’re still new, and their days too few; wait until they’re old
The music, the vegetation, and I share the same sad situation
We are not brain dead and our hearts beat strong
Thick clouds in our minds descend, to occupy for a while later to ascend
We don’t want to expire; we do not desire life to end
But, alas, if it is I that is to die
Devour me with tiny bites, at a later hour and on another night
For I do not want to die

No comments: