"I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reasons, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" -Galileo Galilei

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation" - Oscar Wilde

Monday, May 26, 2008

Quote Reflection #2: Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"I never told my own religion nor scrutinized that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change another's creed. I am satisfied that yours must be an excellent religion to have produced a life of such exemplary virtue and correctness. For it is in our lives, and not from our words, that our religion must be judged" - (Thomas Jefferson in 1816, in a letter to Mrs. H. Harrison Smith)


Religion and politics, two of the most sensitive topics that I LOVE to discuss.

Yet, I do not claim OR DENY any particular religion. I was raised a Christian (Baptist). One thing that I have NEVER struggled with is my belief in God.

What I have struggled with is how people can kill, judge, hate, engage in holy wars, and other ill will "in the name of God" by means of any religion.

Shirley, thanks for your beautiful expression of your faith. I LOVE when people defend their faith. Was it not Peter in the biblical scripture who said: “Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence” (1 Pet. 3:15)

Even more, as Jefferson said "I am satisfied that yours must be an excellent religion to have produced a life of such exemplary virtue and correctness. For it is in our lives, and not from our words, that our religion must be judged."

Shirley, I see your faith through your actions and your attitude. Is that not the best way to "see" someone's religion? Based on the content of your character and your admirable religious conviction, I definitely admire (dare I say envy?) your faith.

To me, "religion" is a good thing. Spirituality is better. There is a difference...at least to me in my humble opinion.

My struggle continues to be: Why can't the Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Jewish, and Buddhist believers ALL BE JUSTIFIED in their faith?

If one religion is "right" and all others are TOTALLY "wrong" (contrary to the true intent of God), then are all the "wrong" religious leaders living their lives in vain, destined to burn in hell forever, despite their good works?
"I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reasons, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" -Galileo Galilei

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After all, the decision about whether or not you go to heaven is the most important decision you will ever make in your whole life.

[1] The Bible says that there is only one way to Heaven. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6). Jesus is the only way to Heaven.

[2] Good works, whether performed by you or someone else (living or dead) on your behalf, cannot get you to heaven (see Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 3:28 and 5:6). In God’s eyes, all of our good works and personal attempts at being righteousness “are as filthy rags” – completely unacceptable (see Isaiah 64:6).