"I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reasons, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" -Galileo Galilei

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation" - Oscar Wilde

Saturday, March 1, 2008

What is the Value of ONE person’s life?

Every day, more than 100,000 people die. That’s more than 2 people per second. How important can a single human life be? Does everyone's life have the same value? The thought of it is overwhelming to me. Yet, I am always saddened by the death of just 1 person.

On my way to work today, I received a phone call about a co-worker passing away last night. She was a beautiful, energetic fifty-something woman who unexpectedly had a stroke last week and went into a coma until she died. I just keep thinking that "she didn't see THAT coming."

People keep talking about her "untimely death." However, I don't get that. When is death ever "timely?" One could say that when one is old, then he/she should be ready to die. But hell, most seventy and eighty years olds I know would tell you in a heartbeat that despite their "old age," they are not ready to die.

In the end, once you have taken your last breath, what will really matter? I can assume that your credit score will become suddenly irrelevant. Your job title is no longer valid. The amount of money and materials things you accumulated becomes totally irrelevant. What then matters is the relationships you had and the moments you have shared with loved ones.

If that is the case, why do we spend most of our lives pursuing the things that, in the end, are utterly insignificant. Perhaps we need to change the way we are living.

Somehow, the following quote from Nadine Stair (attributed, probably erroneously) seemed appropriate to share:

If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time. I'd relax; I'd limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I'm one of those people who lived sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after the other, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had it to do over again, I would travel lighter than I have...

No comments: